Tuesday, May 7, 2024

Mark 11: 27-33

Mark 11: 27-33

Mark gives little context for this conversation. The religious elite needed no prior discussion to prompt them to pick a fight with Jesus. They were ready to fight when Jesus came into the temple. There is behind a question in verse 28 a pompous arrogance. Jesus was unschooled by any recognized rabbi. He came as a teacher from outside of their system. They rejected anyone and everyone who came from any system other than their own. Without approved credentials they might say, "He can't be right because he speaks of his own authority."

Jesus tells them and also refused to tell them of His authority both in the same moment. His question about John's baptism was connected to John's preparation for His coming. This was Jesus’ way of saying John's baptism was from heaven and so is my authority. Jesus was ready to answer their question about authority, but only if they were honest enough to hear an honest answer. The answer of the religious elite to Jesus’ counter question indicates the condition of their hearts. Rather than explore the implication of John's baptism and Jesus’ authority, they can only think about what is the safe answer to preserve their power. Truth for them has taken a back seat to power. Meeting with God and encountering God is less important than control. Face to face with the moment of repentance they reject the opportunity. This is the unforgivable sin. At the very gates of heaven, they have chosen hell.

Professing that they did not know the answer was not enough. To say, “I don't know,” and to be satisfied is dangerous to the point of being damnable. The only time “I don't know” is the appropriate answer when it is connected to “but I want to learn”. Jesus knows their claimed ignorance is an excuse and a refusal to come out of their darkness. He will not waste His time with such a person. He will not cast His pearls before swine. When confronted with Jesus in the Scriptures what do I do? Do I close my eyes, claim ignorance and stay in ignorance or do I seek to surrender my life to Him?

"Lord, at all costs do not allow me to remain with my eyes closed. AMEN"

No comments:

Post a Comment