Tuesday, October 15, 2024

John 5:1-15

 John 5:1-15


Thirty-eight years is a long time. Where were you thirty-eight years ago? In thirty eight years we can establish some very consistent and deeply rooted habits, patterns, and expectations. It is truly wonderful that after thirty eight years of defeat this man was not defeated. Jesus asked this man “Do you want to get well?” The man's answer is neither negative nor positive but an explanation. “Here's the reason I can't get into the Healing Waters”. Reasons and excuses can be similar; they can even be identical twins. The reality was that this man could not get into the waters first.  That was his reason; it may have been his excuse. Jesus asked the man the question to get him to confront himself.


That confrontation involves asking ourselves: “What do we really want?”  The Lord will not violate our freedom and our choice. For example while He wants holiness for us He will not impose it on us. When we plead, “Why am I not able to overcome sin in my life?” We have to ask, “Do I really want to overcome sin in my life?”  “Have I given authority in this matter to the powers of the world, the flesh or the devil so that my will and my wants are bent?” The first step toward holiness is to understand that this is a cooperative effort. The Lord will not do the good for us that He wants if we do not want that good as well. Jesus doesn't do any ice breakers or casual comments. It was the beginning of the core of divine-human interaction. The prayers for holiness or ministry or guidance are nothing if they are parrot talk. lip service, or mindless repetition. The real question with which Jesus consistently confronts us is “What do you really want?” We don't have to be perfect but we have to have a start or at least the start of the desire to start.


“Lord, help me to want or at least begin to want what You desire for me?”


No comments:

Post a Comment