Thursday, July 4, 2024

Luke 8:16-25

Luke 8:16-25

When it comes to our deepest desires, our words say less than what our condition. A person's actions reflect the deepest level of their heart’s desires not what they say. A student may say, “I want better grades,” but the deeper desire is to take it easy when it comes time to study. One might say, “I want to get up early, but I have a greater desire to stay up late at night or to sleep in.” One might say, “I want to lose weight, but at a deeper level I want to eat ice cream.”

What we say we want and the deepest desires of our heart may not be the same thing. We will act out the deepest desires of our heart, which may or may not reflect what we say. What we say may be nothing more than a vague wish or the socially accepted construct of what is acceptable.

The condition we are in now is because in the past we have wanted the things that have brought us to this condition. They are, of course, other factors involved. If I had no ability to sing I can't overcome that with pure will power and desire. At the same time all the natural talent in the world will lay dormant if desire isn't attached.

This is true spiritually as well. Jesus says in verse 18 that if we have, we will grow in that area; if we are apathetic what we have will have to be taken away. Pay careful attention how you listen. If our attention to the Lord is distracted don't be surprised if we miss the lesson. If I want to follow the Spirit’s promptings then I must obey the prompting I have perceived from His leading.

Where I am at in my spiritual walk is where I wanted to be at some point in the past.

“Lord, give me a heart that desires You above all else. AMEN”

No comments:

Post a Comment