Saturday, June 22, 2024

Luke 6:39-42

 Luke 6:39-42


There is no point at which a disciple can say, “I have arrived.” A disciple will never surpass the one who is teaching them; the most we can hope for is to be fully like the teacher. As a disciple of Christ, I am therefore in pursuit of being fully like Christ. In my pursuit of being like Jesus others may help me, but if they are not in pursuit of Christ they will blindly lead me into a pit. They may have a piece of lumber in their eye as they try to correct my vision. Others may help me along as I follow Christ, but it is Christ alone whom I follow. It is also incumbent upon me that I make sure people do not follow me as my disciple; if they follow me it is only as we follow Christ together. 


“But everyone when he is fully trained will be like his teacher.” What do the words “fully trained” mean? It is a little difficult to translate with a single English word. It could be translated fit, repair, perfect, bring to proper condition and adjust. It is a compound of the words meaning “down” and “complete” or “fitted”. An imperfect picture is that of a jigsaw puzzle-the right piece in the right place is the perfect fit. This is an imperfect description because the word implies that the piece is being shaped and does not come ready-made. Our role as a disciple requires our shaping. The word implies that there is a place in the puzzle for each disciple, but before they can be put into the puzzle they must be trimmed, cut down, or formed. This carries an implication beyond simply learning. We have assumed that becoming a disciple is almost synonymous with learning. Oftentimes discipleship training is a little more than an academic exercise. The reality is discipleship is about reshaping us to fit the shape of Christ.  It includes knowledge, attitude and actions in which we are to be reshaped to be like Jesus.  We will never fully arrive, but the goal and the direction is clear.


“Lord, shape me by whatever means necessary that I can be like Jesus. AMEN”


No comments:

Post a Comment