Sunday, June 9, 2024

What kind of person would say that? (Part 2)

I mentioned how my dad told me to go to Florida... 

to help my mother-in-law and if he were to die not to hurry back for his funeral. Well, we finished helping Lorie’s mom and returned home on Saturday. At 1:35 (CST) my wife posted to our family account, “Home, Home” so our kids would know we were back safe. A few minutes later my sister called to say that dad had passed at 2:35 (EST). At the moment Lorie was saying, “Home, Home” dad had just gone home. There is, at times, great beauty in irony.

The last week was hard. We got a call Monday afternoon that Dad was not doing well. I spoke to him by phone, but he was too weak to respond. The nurse wasn’t sure he would last the night. He was a tough old mountain man from the hills of Kentucky and although each night it was expected he wouldn’t make it to the morning, he held on till Saturday.

Tuesday was Mom and Dad’s 71st anniversary. I was praying dad wouldn’t pass on that day. On Thursday, it was mom’s turn to say something that makes you ask, “What kind of person would say that?” Mom had always said of their marriage, “I got a good thing going.” Mom was Dad’s partner in ministry and loved working with children. She even served with teens at times. But Dad was the love of her life. She left the hills as a courageous teen bride of a young preacher. On Thursday, Mom was talking to Dad, as she always did, supportive and encouraging. She said, “Go be with Jesus and all the people you brought into the Kingdom.” What kind of person says that? The kind who stood by a hero and who is heroic herself.

This is at the same time weird, sad, hope-filled and inspiring. Every Sunday night, with very few exceptions, I have called Dad at night to talk, mostly about ministry, but about other stuff as well. Not having that conversation will be weird. I am sad, but hope-filled because his hardships are over. But thinking about what his life means for eternity is inspiring and gives me a wonderful example and a needed boost in resolve.

Last thing I said to dad was, “I love you and either way I’ll see you soon.” That is all that really matters. If you never met my Dad, I hope someday you will meet him in glory, if you know him I hope you can also say, “See you soon.”



Dad’s funeral will be Tuesday, June 11.

Community and friend visitation will begin at 12:00 with the funeral service at 2:00 PM. Internment will follow the service and will be at Cobb HIll Cemetery.

Visitation and funeral will be at

River Drive Christian Church
363 River Dr, Irvine, KY 40336

If you knew Dad, you are welcome to send a card or flowers. Or if you didn’t know dad, but only his kid you may prefer to send a memorial gift to Faith Christian Camp. (This is the church camp my dad help found in the early 1960's.)

No comments:

Post a Comment