Monday, March 23, 2015

Fat chicks, Airboats and a Bad Attitude


It had been a pretty tough week.  Most of the major events of the week had been more negative than positive; presentations that did not go well, client issues that we simply could not seem to resolve.  News from the field that was the opposite of what I had wanted to hear.  That is not to say all the news was bad.  To use a military metaphor, we had won skirmishes and lost battles.  I was in a bit of a cross mood, but was trying to put a happy face on things. 

I had a cancelation for an evening meeting.  Without enough time to find another appointment to fill that slot I decided to plan a little get away.  To understand this get away, I have to tell you a little about myself.  I hate city living.  I live in a city of about 4,000 people.  We are located on a state hwy with what seems like constant traffic.  I prefer chickens, hogs, cattle, and gardens to city living.  When I am in a big city (anything over 30,000), the constant noise makes me feel like I am going to turn into ash and blow away.  I feel like a caged animal in the press of large populations.  Having been on the road all week, I was desperately looking forward to this get away. 

I had found a little slough that made its way to about a 10-acre shallow lake.  I was going to take a kayak and paddle this slough and explore the lake.  My plan was to get to the lake about 5 in the afternoon and enjoy the quiet till full dark and paddle back by moonlight.  I had seen a 3 foot gator once before and was looking forward to photographing the wild life.  I was almost giddy with excitement.  As I drove toward the lake, I saw the worst thing I could imagine at that moment; an airboat on a trailer headed for the lake.

For those of you who may not be familiar with airboats let me describe them to you.  These boats are flat-bottomed craft, with a airplane propeller the thrust of which pushes the boat across the water.  They only require about 6 inches of water to operate and can, with a large enough motor, push across dry land.  The motor of choice seems to be a large V-8 engine with NO MUFFLER AT ALL.  This set up would be almost universally illegal if it were in a car.  Don’t get me wrong, I believe there is a place for these loud boats.  It is patrolling the lake of fire and brimstone, piloted by demons to make sure that all the damned suffer.  But a quite remote lake is not where they belong.  On this and other issues, I disagree with the state of Florida.

Seeing that airboat head down the long dirt road that dead ended in a remote lake was the trigger I needed for a full blown self pity party with a major dose of self righteousness as the guest host.  It didn’t help that I went to a boat launch on a near by river to find it infested with loud scantily clad, over weight women, having a white trash argument over who had the better looking back side.

I railed against the inherent unfairness of my life, of what a good person I was and how my life was such a hardship.  I complained that I did so much good and others got the reward.  I fumed that while I loved the beauty of creation, people who are not as good, wise, or gracious as me ruined it and robbed me of my one and only effort for a respite.  I could go on, but I won’t because it only got worse.  I will suffice to say I could teach Jonah and Job how to complain and indulge in self-pity.  It was not pretty.  As I have reflected over this complaint, a few things came to mind.  I hope my confessions will help you.

When I grumble about difficult clients and the struggles of my work I am testifying against myself.  I am charging myself with the sin of lack of faith.  I am unintentionally admitting that I believe I am my own provider and not God.  It reveals the sin of not trusting God.

When I indulge in self-pity, I confess to the sin of accusing God of not loving me.  Self-pity assumes that God doesn’t love me or else things would work out better.  Is my love for God based on what He can deliver for me, or loving Him for who He is? 

When I wallow in the harshness of my wounded pride and self, I testify that I do not have the joy of the Lord.  His joy is not based on circumstances, but on the relationship I have with the Son and through Him the relationship I have with the Father. 

In the depths of my spiraling, sinful emotions I believe, “Everyone would be better off if they were not associated with me in any way.”  I bring an accusation of evil against God.  I am, in effect, saying “God, you did not know what you were doing when you made me, and when you brought me to this place in my life.  You did evil in making me and in bringing these people into relationship with me.”  To claim to know more than God about how He should make people is perhaps the highest form of pride, and is very much like the accusations of Satan before his fall.

To rail against the circumstances of life is to show the hypocrisy of my prayers.  Didn’t I just recently pray for God to shape me and form me to be useful for His purposes?   Like a potter He applies pressure to shape the clay and the clay moans and accuses the potter of not being a good potter.   Perhaps my prayers are play-acting religion to try and impress God and curry His favor to get what I want. 

Clearly, I failed the test.  A student asked the professor, “Why did you give me an “F”?  To which the professor patiently replied, “I didn’t want to give you an “F”.  But unfortunately, it was the lowest grade I could assign.”

But here is the good news for me and for you if you can at all relate to this story.  God allows us the option to get up and try again.  I wish that I had done better!  I hope that I will do better in the future!  I hope that I will be able to understand the pressures of life, not as some great injury or injustice that have singled me out as a victim, and invite me to a self thrown pity party.  But, rather, I want to see the pressures of life as the hand of the potter pressing on me to make changes so I can be more useful.  I am a long way from where I ought to be; further away than I thought.  But maybe, just maybe, I have better clarity on where I am, which way I ought to be going, and how far I ought to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment