Monday, June 29, 2015

The absence of a magic bullet


Magic bullet: Or, sometimes, silver bullet. 1. The perfect drug to cure disease with no danger of side effects.  The term magic bullet was first used in this sense by the German scientist Paul Ehrlich to describe antibody and later the drug Salvarsan that he created to treat syphilis. 2. In general, a magical solution to any vexing problem that one thing that will solve the problem.  The cure for what ails you or for the troubling situation that has to be over come.

The church has its fair share of supposed magic bullets.  They seem to range across all the spectrums.  Left to right, Bible-based to humanistic, enduring to faddish, sober to goofy.  Every so often, someone latches on to a new idea, or more creatively repackages and re-markets an old idea, and heralds it as the fix for what ails the church.   These packages, programing, publications or proposals hit the church market, sell like hot cakes (for a while) and then end up on the top shelf of the church’s library or the back corner of a storage closet.  But sadly, the congregation, the Church, and the world are by and large unchanged. 

At one church I served, I went through the library, storage closets and educational resource area to find a total of 43 different programs, all of which in their day were touted as having the ability to set the church on the right course.  Most came with a three ringed binder filled with outlines and A.V. materials (some were transparencies [and, yes, we still had the over head projector], others held cassettes, some VHS tapes, the newer ones had CD’s and there were even a few DVDs).  When I took time to dig all these programs out, the church was the same size it had been for the 20 years prior to my arrival-the date of one the earliest programs I dug out.   If we assume that each program with all the workbooks and other paraphilia cost about $200 those 43 programs represent nearly $9,000 with nothing to show for it. 

That does not take into account the cost in sending leaders to conferences to be trained.  There is no accounting of the human effort and labor of staff and volunteers to learn the material and then teach it to the congregation.  We can make no calculation of the hours given by the congregants to come to the church building and learn the material.  

I am not opposed to helpful resources.  Over the years I have bought and used more than a few of these; some to great affect, others were useless.  I am not opposed to Christian leaders sharing their thoughts and how to be more effective in ministry.  But let’s be honest, over the last 50 years the church in America has spent a lot of time, effort, and resources to do church better and the condition of the church is not improved.  I know of no one who believes the condition of the church in America today is strong and healthy. 

I do read, study, and try to be a more informed disciple.  I try to add new tools to my toolbox on a regular basis.  But I have given up any hope for finding a magic bullet. 

In contrast, here is what I have found.  The Lord doesn’t call us to do many things.  He calls us to do one thing-to make disciples.  It is so weird, that as I read the Great Commission and the Great Commandment in Matthew 10 and Acts, and the New Testament in general, there is a beautiful and powerful simplicity to what we are to be about.  As we go, we make disciples. 

I become frustrated with the hype and promise of the latest and the greatest programmatic answer to the problem of static and declining churches.  In my travels I see churches that have layers and layers of infrastructure and operations, but appear to lack any urgency for making disciples.    We do not need another nationally marketed program.  I’m not sure that there is a program that will solve the church’s problems.   What I do know is, if I love God more and love people the way Jesus did, I will be compelled by that love to tell them about God’s amazing grace. Then I’ll be heading in the right direction. 

No comments:

Post a Comment