Monday, November 23, 2015

Secret to Great Ministry


“But God has chosen the foolish things of the world to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to shame the things which are strong”

This morning I had coffee with a friend of mine who gives new meaning to this verse.  Jennifer has a past that is somewhat less that pure as the wind driven snow.  In fact there was a time in her life when it would be hard to imagine anyone less suitable for a life of ministry.  That is all I’m going to say about that (I will provide contact information so if you like you can invite Jennifer to tell you her story).  It would be foolish to think God would use some one like her, but He has, indeed He does more with her than with a lot of premium people.

Jennifer leads a ministry to women who are coming out of prison, addition and/or various dysfunctions.  She has an impact on the lives of people disproportionate to her upbringing, experience, or education.  As we (Jennifer her husband John, my wife Lorie, and I) talked this morning I was a bit overwhelmed by what God has done, is doing and may yet do in the life of this one person. 

As we talked about the joys and frustrations of their ministry (John is all in) I kept wanting to ask one question.  It is the kind of question that I love to ask in an interview or conversation and then share in some way or another.  That question is “What is the secret to the success of your ministry?”  But I the answer was obvious.  I have seen the answer in the lives of other heroes of ministry.  I saw it in the life and ministry of a man who ran a crisis pregnancy center in a pretty rough neighborhood.  I saw in an older minister that ran VBS programs in the public housing projects of Atlanta.  I saw the same secret in a preacher that at the age of 83 still preaches and leads more sinner to Christ than men half his age and twice his energy.  You may have seen the answer in your heroes of faith. 

It is not that these heroes have a profound creative theological perspective, nor an advanced degree.  It is not their mastery of Hebrew, Greek, German or a dialect spoken only by a few thousand people.  It is not their ability to preacher sermons that knock your socks off.  Nothing wrong with any of these things and most of the heroes can do many or some of these.  I have known people who could do almost all of these and were ministry duds.  Here is what Jennifer and every other hero I have ever known had, and they have it in common.

They have all had a profound, dynamic and active love for God and for people.  As we talked this morning there was a story of a person whose life was a shambles but found their way to grace.  I looked and Jennifer’s eyes were filling with tears.  They didn’t over flow on to her face.  But a story of God’s grace meeting a sinner is always a profoundly moving moment for a hero of faith.

Here is the take away.  We can all grow in our love for God and people.  I will never be a great theologian; I just don’t run that deep.  I will never be a master of languages; I failed freshman English twice.  I will never be able to preach like Dave Stone or Andy Stanley; I stumble over my words and never realize it.   (I once, speaking of an out of balance ceiling fan, said, “Could someone turn that fan off.  It’s whacking off is bothering me.  Yes I said that, at least it was during the announcements.)  What I can do is love God, and love people.  I can grow in that love.   If I want to be like the people I most admire and respect there is a simple pattern to follow: Love God and Love People.

For more information about Jennifer and her ministry follow this link: https://www.facebook.com/herhopegainesville/?fref=ts



No comments:

Post a Comment