Monday, February 1, 2016

The Happy Moments that Break Your Heart


I am supposed to conclude the blog about year-end giving today.  It is pretty much done; just need to fill in a few details, shorten it, and have my proofreader correct it.  But I am far too distracted to write about year-end giving right now.   It may become a side bar or be postponed till later.  But my heart is not in an article suggesting year-end gifts.  To explain why I have to take you back 22 years this Saturday.

Sometimes you can recall the exact moment you bond with someone, the moment you realized you are hooked.  That happened 22 years ago.  Our doctor had ordered a precautionary test for our baby.  She was fine, but he wanted to make sure.  She was a newborn whose age was more easily measured in hours than days.  My wife was too close to a long labor to go with us, so this young dad held his daughter as a woman in scrubs stuck a needle in the little one’s heel to draw blood.  At the first scream of my little girl my mind told me that this was necessary for the baby’s well being and the nurse was really a nice person.  But my gut level reaction was to want to defend my child, to drive away the attacker, and protect this little helpless one.

The end of the test did not mean the end of the tears and wails.  Being a Saturday, the lab side of the hospital was mostly vacant.  I found my way to a waiting room that was utterly empty and mostly dark, sat down and began to sooth and comfort and pray for my daughter.  The cries subsided, the tears stopped and by the time I was ready to take her home my heart was completely captured.  All my children have captured my heart, but the others did it little by little, this girl did it in one fail swoop. 

Today, 22 year later, she is getting married.  As I tap away at the keyboard tears crowd the corner of my eyes.  My to do list of the morning is still there-call these people, email the people on this list, talk to the home office about this schedule.  But my heart is not really in it.  Monday’s are hard enough anyway, but your daughter’s wedding adds to it exponentially.  Her groom is a music minister and had to lead worship yesterday and next weekend so it is a Monday wedding.  Isn’t there a song about Blue Mondays?  By the way her groom is not nearly good enough for her; no young man could ever be good enough.  A well-educated, devoted, handsome, funny, music minister would sound sketchy to any dad who comforted his newborn daughter.

I know I have to let her go.  She can’t stay home forever.  And she has not always been a delight; there were times I thought about sending her to a convent on the moon.     But last night as her mother and I were getting ready to turn in she came into our room and we talked.  This has been a frequent habit for many years.  The conversation ranged from the serious-marriage is serious-to the goofy, how do you hide the smell you leave in the bathroom (you don’t).  We talked till mid-night and then we prayed and she left.  She will come back to visit, but that is what it will be, a visit.   Today changes everything, her home will be somewhere else, the late night conversations will be with someone else, the person who comforts her when she cries will be someone else.

I am happy and excited for their future.  I expect grandchildren I can hold, comfort, and pray for.  They will face struggles and joys and it is what happens when baby girls grow up into young women.  But a dad’s heart is allowed to be happy and breaking as the same time.  I know this for certain, because right now I am an expert on the subject.  

No comments:

Post a Comment