Monday, September 12, 2016

My Religion is getting in the way of my faith


It is the story we have heard over and over again; a story that we often teach or preach.  It is a story that has literally shaped our language.  Even those who are unfamiliar with the story itself and have never decided to follow the storyteller understand the meaning of the term “Good Samaritan”.  So how is it that this story hits me again with new conviction?  How could I have not noticed its application to my life before?  Maybe this application is reserved for those who have ears to hear.

Since you are familiar with the story, I will cut straight to the whack on the head I just got.  The biggest difference between the priest and the Levite, on the one hand, and the Samaritan on the other, was this faith system.   All other factors appear to be the same or at least similar.  This is not an anti-Jewish story, nor is it anti-Mosaic law.  It is a story about who is the neighbor I am supposed to love as myself.

So what kept the priest and Levite from helping the wounded man?  It was apparently their faith system.  If they came in contact with a dead body they would become unclean according to the God-given law.  They were, apparently, deeply committed to doing the right thing according to the tenants of their religion.  It was their very religious practice that kept them from touching the hurting man.  I find it interesting that Jesus offers no condemnation for these men and their meticulous observance of that part of the law.  By His follow-up question, Jesus leads us to believe that loving our neighbor-the person in need-takes priority over other religious observances. 

In my religious practice I find it interrupts my faith.  Jesus said in the great commission, “As you are going make disciples of all nations” (note the infinitive).  My problem is all the places I am going, at least in theory, are filled with disciples.  As I look at the week I am huddling with disciples, Sunday morning worship, evening leadership teaching, Monday night men’s group, Tuesday night church league softball (if I want to go and support the team), Wednesday church youth group, Thursday night prayer meeting.  You get the picture.

Jesus’ last words on earth for me were that as I was going through life, I should be making disciples.  I am simply so active with my religion that I haven’t time to live out my faith as an obedient follower.  I am, however, not opposed to the occupation of ministry. 

I love my work as a church consultant.  I am thankful for my role as an interim pastor.  But I know that I am missing something.  There are people who are hurting and in dire need of love, but grace and I are too busy with the habit of my religion to be of any use to them. 

Maybe I have it upside down.  Rather than fill my week with Christian activities and events, perhaps I should fill my week with building relationships with people who haven’t yet experienced Christ’s love.  If there is time, I will gather with Christians for worship.  If I did that, would worship be sweeter and the week more fulfilling?  Can I practice my faith more and my religion less?

2 comments:

  1. I am reading a book which addresses this issue of religion taking the place of carrying out the commission Jesus left us to accomplish. The book is "God Without Religion: Can it Really be This Simple?" by Farley Andrew. Points out how often we promote our "religion" and neglect our mission.

    ReplyDelete