Monday, October 3, 2016

Dawgs Vs Vols and facing death


In case you did not see it, the ending of the Georgia Bulldogs and Tennessee Volunteers on Saturday was an ending for the ages. 

Here is a brief.  The Bulldogs controlled the game for the first half, the Volunteers for the second.  The Volunteers take the first lead of the game when the Bulldogs’ quarterback fumbles in his own end zone in the waning minutes of the game.  But with 10 seconds left, the Bulldogs score a go-ahead touchdown on a 47-yard pass. 

It is at this point someone, or several someones, forgot that it is critical to end well.

It is also at this point that the stadium erupts into celebration and emotional players pour off the Bulldogs’ bench to revel with their teammate in the end zone.  The refs throw a flag on the GA team for un-sportsman-like conduct. Meaning, the ensuing kick off is moved 15 yards toward the Bulldogs’ end zone.  On that kickoff, a GA player, in his eagerness, is off sides.  After a 22-yard kickoff return, the ball is moved an additional 5 yards toward the goal.  With only 4 seconds left and the ball on the 43-yard line, the Volunteers have time for one play.  If you watch college football at all, or have any sense of irony, you know what happened.  In case you don’t, here is a link for the last 30 seconds of the game. Finishing well
  
This blog is neither to rub salt in the wound of my Bulldog friends nor to praise the Volunteers, but the lesson here is obvious. 

Finish well. 

Had the Bulldogs maintained their composure in the last 10 seconds of the game, the Volunteers might have had the ball with time for one play 63 yards from the goal line.  That 20 yards difference was, in my opinion, the difference in the game.  There are 63-yard, Hail Mary touchdowns, but they are much less common than 43-yard touchdown passes.

This morning when I came into my office, I found a form letter on my desk offering me a $20,000 death benefit/burial policy.  In their offer they used the term “Senior Citizen”.  I don’t think of myself as a senior citizen, neither do restaurants; I don’t get the senior discount.  But it was a reminder that I am playing in the second half.  I feel pretty good about the game so far.  I have sucked at special teams, but done well on defense and offense.  But I am clearly in the second half of play and the fourth quarter will be here before you know it.

I have known Christians and preachers that have played a great first half, but in the second half they have not so looked good.  They replace passion with routine.  They trade opportunity for security.  They stopped learning, discovering, developing and adapting and settled for old books, old sermons, old programs and old methods.  I am in the second half and I have to admit it is a lot easier to rest on first half accomplishments, rather than press on toward a new challenge.  But I know that I am a long, long way from winning.  So I have to learn new stuff.  I have to face new challenges and I have to take new risks.  I will not win every down.   I can only focus on the next play.  So, that is where I will focus.  That way when I finish the game and they close my eyes for the last time, I will hear the words,  “Well done, team mate! Game over.  You won.  Come in and enjoy the victory celebration.”

No comments:

Post a Comment