Monday, May 7, 2018

At the intersection of great talent and a humble spirit

Let me offer a disclaimer.  When it comes to music I stink really bad.  In ninth grade after three years of band my teacher was exasperated that I could not do a four count.  I was about to fail band.  He made me the following offer.  “If you promise never to sign up for another band class, I will give you a passing grade!”  DEAL DONE
 
I know are real cowboy now!
I like music but my taste has been described as odd.  Only on my MP3 player can you find a mix of Gregorian chants, military marches and Celtic worship songs with, “Brick house”, “Frankenstein”, and “She blinded me with Science”.  In fact, my MP3 player has more spoken word tracks than songs. (Psalms, Acts, Mark, two secular books, and a lecture on public speaking) 

When I speak about music and musicians it is not from a technical or artistic point of view.  Also, I NEVER endorse anyone or anything for compensation.  If I recommend something it is because of a heart-felt conviction and not because I am being compensated. (With the exception of my own book of course)  Having said that, I want to recommend to you the music and ministry of Kevin Rowe.

I met Kevin at a ministry clinic last week.  (I will write more about that awesome clinic in the near future)  I was one of the speakers and Kevin was doing the music thing playing guitar and singing.  I got the chance to visit with Kevin and get to know him a little better than just watching him on stage.  Kevin is a remarkable combination of talented musician, humble servant, and dedicated man of God.  I have met more than a few musicians that were all about being the star.  Kevin was all about pointing people to Christ.  His story is one of failure and grace and is worth hearing if you can get him to tell it.  But the hero of Kevin’s story is always Jesus.

His musical style is a fusion of Christian, County, and Rockabilly.  Kevin’s music would fit fine in a worship service on Sunday morning or at a church concert some night of the week.  But I believe the best use of his talents would be an outreach for your church in a secular venue like a park.  Kevin can be a great bridge for evangelism if you live and serve in an area with a strong country music following, which is pretty much everywhere.  At the very least, I strongly recommend you contact Kevin and get his album PS and enjoy some great music. 

Now I have to find a place for Kevin’s music somewhere between Pachelbel's Canon in D and the Talking Heads Burning down the House.

To contact Kevin you can use his webpage: http://www.prodigalsons4god.com/


Or email him at: prodigalsons4god@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment