Tuesday, November 27, 2018

"Merry Christmas" err I mean "Happy Commerce Day"

Long ago in a childhood far away…. I watched a Christmas Special or at least part of one.  It was 1978, Jimmy Carter was President, Bear Bryant was coaching Alabama and I was a teenager.  That Christmas season I watched just a few minutes of A Mac Davis Special: Christmas Odyssey 2010, but lost interest pretty quick.  At the time my musical interest tended toward Boston, Styx, Foreigner, and Heart.  So, this Mac Davis Christmas musical had little appeal.  However, the theme of the special stuck with me.   In the show Mac Davis and Bernadette Peters played a couple preparing for "Commerce Day," the winter holiday which causes people to spend a lot of money on presents.  It was, as I recall, pretty sappy and not very good.  But one of the lines was prophetic:
"Every Commerce Day,
We get lots and lots of stuff,
No matter how much we get,
It never is enough!"
At this time of year, we can all decry the commercialization of Christmas, but there is another and deeper issue. 

He had no TV, computer, MP3 player, or what we would call basic transportation.  His home would be what we might call third world and compared to most of us his possessions were meager and of poorer quality.  But students of the Bible call him  “the rich young ruler”.   And he walked away from Jesus because his heart was so attached to his possessions.  I am often stunned by how much stuff I have.  I am even more stunned at how attached I have become to the stuff.  Can I walk away from my stuff if the Lord called me to do so?  Would I try to drag it along as I followed?  Would I just let Jesus leave and sit miserably with my stuff?

Why does the Lord make such ridiculous demands of us?  Why did God call for the sacrifice of Isaac rather than Ismael, Hagar, or even Sarah?  Why did Jesus call those who followed him to hate mother and father instead of hating Samaritans and Romans? Why did Jesus call for the abandonment of wealth and security as terms of the rich man’s discipleship?

The reason is simple; Jesus will not allow us to have anything between Him and our heart.  Those things nearest our heart are most apt to sink their roots into our hearts.   Jesus demands that they be extracted.  If the decisions of our discipleship never cause us any distress we may not be making the decision to be a disciple.  To take up the cross and follow Christ is not a decision that is made lightly.

In my own heart, I often try to find the middle way: the path that allows me to hear the comforting words of Jesus without having to be made uncomfortable by following.  We must not imagine that the hurt of following in not real.  It most emphatically is.  But it is a hurt that will give way, perhaps in this life, certainly in the life to come.  As we approach this year’s Commerce Day/Christmas we would do well to ask: “What or who has grown too close to our heart?”  God grant us the pain of faithfully following Jesus our Lord.



No comments:

Post a Comment