Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Your Attitude Stinks and other reasons God says NO to our Prayers part 2

Last week we looked at some of the reasons that God says no to our prayers.  I am sure that this list in not comprehensive but it is a start and gives us something to think about.  So here are another 6 reasons that God might just say NO!


The no of a fallen world
“Why” is one of the most common of prayers.  It is often associated with terrible illness and tragedy.  We pray for the restoration of health and there is no answer except the terminal “no”. If the world were not such a terrible place we may not want Heaven ever or at all. By allowing the pain of this fallen world God reminds us we were made for something else and better. Extreme example: “God, why did you let this storm do so much harm.  Can’t you protect us?”  There is the answer from God, “Yes, I can and I will when you are here with Me where all residue of the fall is finally and forever removed and I wipe that tear from your eye.”

The apparent no of demonic interference
I don’t believe that every bad thing that happens is the result of demonic activity.  Your flat tire maybe the result of having driven 40,000 miles longer than it was supposed to have been driven.  But I also believe that there is a host (large but undetermined number) of malevolent, spiritual beings at work in our world. They hate all of humanity because we are made in the image of God.  I believe that these beings are at work to ruin and hurt us as a way of hurting our Father.  When they have our cooperation by our sin we can expect a “no” answer.  Extreme example: A person might pray, “God, set me free from the tormentors and the misery of these hurtful emotions.”  To which God says, “You agree with the spirit of darkness in your hate and unforgiveness; I will leave you there to learn a lesson of repentance and forgiveness.”

The no of mystery
Most people are of average intelligence.  Even the brightest and best of minds, of which I am not one, have a hard time comprehending the deep things of God.  Who would be God’s councilor, to whom would God go for advice?  There are things we do not and cannot comprehend.  Extreme example: We pray like Job, “God, explain yourself on this matter.  I have a right to know.”  To which God might say, “Sorry, that is above your pay grade kid.”

The no of delay
This is a cliché we have often heard: “Sometimes God says, “Yes,” sometimes God says, “No,” and sometimes God says, “Wait”.  Cliché or not it is true, timing is everything and God’s timing is impeccable.  God is never late, but He is rarely early.  Extreme example: We pray, “God, our need is desperate please hurry.”  To which God says, “I think I will wait till you can trust Me.”

The no of “Stop praying and do something”
There is a time for prayer and there is a time for action.  We have at times been praying when we should have been working.  Extreme example: When Moses was at the Red Sea with a hostile army behind him, a confused people around him and a sea in front of him he called out to God.  And how did God respond, “Why are you crying out to Me? Tell the sons of Israel to go forward.”

The no of stupidity
I once saw a sign that read, “Everything happens for a reason, sometimes that reason is stupidity.”  When I got my finger cut off I couldn’t blame God for my excessive and highly refined stupidity.  Sometimes God does rescue us from our own folly, but we are wise not to tempt God on that point.  Extreme example: We might pray, “God, protect me from harm and help me.”  To which the Lord might reply, “Those are My laws you are breaking, if you are going to be stupid you better be tough.”

I hope no one will think I am being disrespectful toward God by this article.  But when we pray if we think it is a cosmic vending machine that gives us what we want, the way we want it, we don’t really understand prayer.  The “No” answers from God- hard as they may be to understand- are wonderful expressions of His love for us and His efforts to draw us home.

2 comments: