Tuesday, September 17, 2019

What is wrong with the church? Join me in saying...

Last week I asked for your opinion on why we can have such highly rated churches while at the same time the church in American is in decline if not in free fall or collapse.  I can’t find any measure of the church, as a whole, that indicates the church in American is doing well both in terms of numerical growth and in discipleship.

So, back to the question: Why are we Christians in the church in America experiencing high levels of satisfaction with our churches while at the same time our churches are for the most part static or in decline? 

As I read over the numerous answers I received (thank you by the way) a couple of general themes kept recurring.  If you would like to read the answers they are posted at http://beyondharan.blogspot.com/2019/09/here-is-what-you-said.html.  The two very general themes are that we are selfish in our expectation of what the church should be and do and that develops from a failure to die to self.  Also, we have become addicted to the consumer culture and have translated it into our expectation of the church.  If we don’t like the experience at Outback we will go to Ruth Chris.  If the wings at Beef O’Brady’s don’t please us we will watch the game at Buffalo Wild Wings.  If the music at First Tall Steeple Church is too stuffy we will go to Mega-Wonder Church by the interstate. 

When my son was about 5 years old a little girl at church had a crush on him.  As much as a 4 year old can have a crush.  We had been visiting the family and as we were saying our goodbyes the little girl ran up to my son, started dancing, shaking both arms and chanting, “Do you like me? Do you like me?”  The embarrassment of my son was hysterical to watch.  And it was cute coming from a 4 year old girl.  But it feels like the church stands in front of the carnal world dancing and pleading, “Do you like me? Do you like me?”  Christianity has become one more consumer product that is to be marketed and presented as we plead with carnal people to please like us. 

But lest I confess the sins of others I must also confess my own sins.  As a minister I have a tendency to expect the church to provide me with affirmation, love, support, a good salary, benefits and a retirement plan.  I have wanted to work a grueling 29-hour week, use recycled or stolen sermons, and not be bothered with the demands of dysfunctional people that want me to visit them.  I have wanted to be treated like a professional, work like a toddler, and put out like an amateur.  I have fought these tendencies and in most of my ministry I have done a good job of doing so, but when I do I whine like a spoiled 13 year old in private and subtly play the martyr in public.  I think I am not the only one.

I am not saying all preachers are lazy nor am I justifying the evil behavior of clergy killers in the church.  I am saying that as ministers we can identify the problems in our churches, but are less apt to see them in the mirror.  The church is a mess in
America and we in leadership are part of the problem.  We are also the beginning of the solution.  One responder said, “We need a Third Great Awakening.”  That will only happen if we speak the truth and call our people to die to self.   If we speak the truth we may find our churches dismiss us.  We may lose good paying jobs and retirement options might be taken from us.  We may find that we reenter the work force not as professionals but as laborers drawing pay that doesn’t afford the niceties we are accustomed to.  If we find that price too high then we are part of the problem, we are not ready to die to self.  We will go our way, “…grieving; for he (we) was one who owned much property.” 

What is wrong with the American Church?  Join me and let’s all say it together, “I am.”


No comments:

Post a Comment