Tuesday, May 19, 2020

An overly simplified meaning of being a disciple.

This description is far too simple for anything beyond the most brief of overview, but looking for the ultra simple explanation of being a disciple it may not be too bad.

What does it mean to be a disciple?  Our lives are being lived on the trajectory that we choose.  We will allow that trajectory to be represented by \.  At some point in our lives we encounter the trajectory, represented by /, of the goodness, beauty and power of God in the person of Jesus Christ and the redemption He offers.  In that moment we may choose to continue on with the trajectory of our lives, where we call the shots, make the decisions and determine what we will love and adore.  We have faced the question, “Who is in charge?” and we have answered that with a very clear, “Me”. After that encounter with God we go our separate way from God, we can represent that encounter with an X.  At the intersection of God’s and our trajectory there was a moment in which we are called to follow.  A call we have rejected.  However, if we choose to answer affirmatively the call to follow then our lives experience a change in trajectory.  It becomes more of a Y.  The trajectory of our life now parallels, indeed is in His.  So much so, that Paul said, “I am crucified with Christ, nevertheless I live, but I am not really the one doing the living, the day to day life I live in this material world, I live by faith in the Son of God who loved me and gave His life for me.”  Gal 2:20 paraphrased We are walking with Him along the arc of His will and purpose.  That moment of intersection is the moment we answer His call to us, “Follow Me,” with the commitment, “I have decided to follow Jesus.”

A possible help for your congregation.

Last week, I asked that you participate in a survey about Covid-19 and church giving.  I want to thank all of you who have done so.  If you have not yet, please follow this link and take this survey.  https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/RJTCBTT

Of the results that have come in a great many have expressed concern about the financial impact of the temporary shutdown on giving.  The prognosis for churches seems to range from the mildly difficult to very serious.  I remain confident that out of this the Lord will bring good.  We have our part to be good stewards, but we can do that with confidence in God’s direct provision and in providential opportunities.  I may have come across one such opportunity this week.  I was having a conversation with Mike and he was telling me about how his company did a solar project for a large SBC church not far from where he lives.  It turns out that solar power can be a benefit for a church.  The roof is there all week soaking up the sun, but the building is used less often than a conventional business.  Depending on a multitude of factors, a church’s roof might be put to use to produce income for the church.


Let me admit that I am a moron when it comes to all things electric.  Once you get beyond an on/off switch you have pretty much left me behind.  But when it comes to an opportunity for a church to develop a revenue stream using an existing roof it makes sense to me.  Rather than provide my list to Mike or send everyone a brochure, I will simply say if you want more information send me an email and I will get you more information. 

No comments:

Post a Comment