Friday, July 14, 2023

Attitude is everything

 The attitude I have determines if I am grateful or an ingrate.  It really has a lot to do with the way I choose to look at it.  A lesson I am learning and was reinforced this week.


I knew this week would be busy.  Along with everything on a regular week I had a couple of extras planned into the schedule.  No problem, just adjust a few things and it will all fit together nicely.  One of the extra’s this week is a long anticipated out-of-state trip.  That actually comes into play in this little story.  Then there were the extras.


First, I had to take my pickup in for some overdue service.  That leaves us with one car and one bike.  Then the car begins some shenanigans.  So, it has to go off to the shop.  Truck in Monday car on Tuesday, and the bike shows a growing fork seal leak.  The car has a problem that can’t be diagnosed.  Love it when the mechanic says, “This will take a while.”  Okay, so I will take the truck out-of-state; it will take more gas, but okay.  Then the words, “Your truck won’t be done till Monday.”  I’ll take the bike. No, not that far with a seal leak.  I spent much of one day trying to determine what was going to be available early Monday.  Answer: nothing I own.  Oh joy, I get to rent a car.  


It is at this moment I suffer from an attack of self pity.  Why, oh why, do I have such bad luck with all things mechanical?  But then I remembered the missionaries we support in India.  They do their work on foot for the most part, some have bicycles and a few are blessed with tiny little motor bikes.  None of these guys have AC, automatic transmission, or power windows.  They may not have the money to repair them if they break.  They work in a nation where they could be sent to prison, beaten or killed by a mob if they are found preaching the gospel.  


Somehow self-pity melts in the face of real servants who heroically serve the Lord and His bride.  My week is still a little chaotic, but I am attempting to approach it with gratitude.  I’m still learning, but I have a gracious and gentle teacher.


No comments:

Post a Comment