Wednesday, January 17, 2024

Matthew 6:25-34

 Matthew 6:25-34

My heart is bad. Even as I am reading this passage my mind is racing about print supplies and appointments. "Will there be enough of what I need?" If that is not bad enough there is rebelliousness where my heart says, "Yes, that is good in theory but...” The problem is in me, in my sinful desire to clamor for release from the Lord’s provision and authority. I want to argue against God, to say what He gives is not enough, to find an excuse for indulging in my own selfishness. Smashing myself against rocks hoping the rocks will change makes even better sense than worry.

In the illustration of the birds and flowers Jesus is not advising idleness; rather, the lesser proves the greater. Jesus said if it is true of the less valuable and values then it will be true for the more valuable and higher values. If it is true of the less important, like the birds, then it is true for me. God cares for the birds, but they must pick up the seeds. Part of God’s provision is work, but I have to “pick up the seeds”.

People who do not know God as Father don't know the confidence of His care. But God knows me and He knows my needs. The Gentile worries about himself because he also worries about his gods (like the dog worries over a bone). The Gentile worries with unbelieving and aggressive prayers because his god is never a loving father. It is possible to relax a bit about "things".

Verses 33-34 offer a positive thought for the worried mind. Have you noticed that you cannot avoid thinking of pink elephants when someone says "pink elephants"? Jesus is wonderful, in His grace he gives us a positive to consider rather than the avoidance of a negative. Beyond “don't be anxious” He positively says, “seek the kingdom.” In the pursuit of the Kingdom, I can occupy my mind with thoughts that are not anxious. Worrying is nothing more than daydreaming about problems. Why not occupy the space in my mind with the dreams of the Kingdom?

"Lord, fill my mind so completely with the delights of Your Kingdom that there is no room left to worry about the selfish things of this world. AMEN"

No comments:

Post a Comment