Sunday, May 3, 2015

In the presence of a hero


Heroes almost never self identify as such.  No one that has done something heroic says, “Yes, I am a hero and I know it.”  It is almost as if whatever causes the heroic behavior also causes the hero to be un-self-conscience that what they did is something special.  Typically they say something to the effect of “I just did what needed to be done.”  That is part of the beauty of someone being heroic.  They would defer to someone else; police officers, fire fighters or military personnel as the real heroes.  It does not change the fact that they are heroes, but they would consider himself or herself just an everyday kind of person.  They are everyday heroes.

So when I tell you that I have been in the presence of the heroic, the person I am referring to would be embarrassed by that statement, and would certainly offer denials of their role as hero.  But I will say it all the same; “I have been in the presence of a hero”.  To understand this everyday hero, let me offer a little history.

When our daughter Abby was in kindergarten, she had the kind of teacher every parent dreams of, but her first grade teacher was a nightmare.  I will spare you the details.  By Christmas break of first grade, Abby had actually digressed in her academics.  At this point, my wife and I decided to homeschool Abby for the rest of first grade.  Her progress and improvement was almost immediate.  It was not easy but it was very fulfilling.  However, her older sister began taking some grief at her school.  It seems that our decision to home school was seen as a sort of disloyalty to the school.   The result was that the next year we homeschooled both of these girls and added a kindergartener.

For a moment let me set the larger context.  In the course of five months, we started homeschooling, we planted a church and to make matters more engaging, we added a fourth child to our family.  And in the midst of this my wife made our little house a home.  As a bi-vocational church planter, I didn’t make much money.  That year our gross income was $16,000 of which we paid $4,000 in medical bills, and she kept us together without welfare.  If babies came when you can afford them earth’s population would be zero.  Undaunted by all this, my wife kept the family fed by frugality and God’s provision.  That is when she developed the mantra “God is good and beans are cheap”. 

Our four children and our son-in-law.
What brings this to mind is that this past Sunday May 3rd, 2015) she graduated her youngest child from “The Crowe Family Home School”.  In the last 18 years she has taught two children from K-5, one child from First grade, and one child from Fifth grade all the way through to graduation.  Take the elementary, middle and high school subjects,  put them together and my wife as taught them, sometimes studying late into the night before teaching it the next day.  I can’t count the times I have fallen asleep while my wife reviewed a chemistry textbook.  She taught everything from advanced mathematics to Spanish, from constitutional law and history to religion and Bible.  She also made sure the kids were ‘socialized’ (what ever that means) by having them in co-op classes and involved in extra curricular activities.  Far from cocooning in the house the kids were, at various times, in choir, band, karate, kick boxing, Krav Maga, weight lifting, flag football, track and field, Navy Sea Cadets, and church.  Let’s never forget church.  She often, with only a little help on Sunday mornings, made sure that the whole brood was in Sunday School, and made sure they were active in youth group ministries, including overseas mission trips.

Some will say, “But can the homeschool child do well in the real world?”  Let’s see; our oldest graduated with honors from a university having attended the Honors College.  With her lowest college grades coming in physical education, after classes in Greek philosophy, she tended to over think P.E. written test.  Our second child, the one who help prompt this grand adventure is a highly decorated sailor, having been award, among other citations, Junior Sailor of the Year for all U.S. Navel personnel in the European Command.  The third daughter advanced to be the head teller for her section of a bank and is now pursuing a degree in anthropology.  And our son who graduated from high school last Sunday is duel enrolled in a local community college and will graduate in a year from college as an automotive tech.  He plans on working as a mechanic while pursing his faith’s calling.  Not bad for homeschoolers. 

I could go on and on but I won’t.  Just let me offer one more description of my hero.  Before we had children we decided that my wife would be a stay at home mom.  At the time, she worked as a R.N. in labor and delivery.  She loved the work, found it very satisfying, and was very good at it, based on her evaluation.  It was also pretty lucrative.  But in a decision of self-sacrifice she committed to be a stay at home mom, to raise and educate children and make our home a sanctuary for me.  I tease her by telling her that she has been on maternity leave for 28 years.  I did a calculation of just the financial cost of her decision.  If we assume a consistent rate of pay increase and inflation her decision to stay at home has meant she turned down between $750,000 and $1,200,000 in today’s pay to be a stay at home mom.  (Assuming she worked as an RN from when maternity leave started till now)

A couple of days ago we were talking about all that has transpired in the last 18 to 28 years and I asked her if she had any regrets.  “No, not a one.  I remember one day when…”  She mentioned a specific time when she was home schooling 10th grade, 7th grade, 4th grade, and 1st grade, oh and she was helping lead the children’s ministry at church and part of the music ministry. “…I was feeling overwhelmed and I thought about work but I thought when the kids are all gone I don’t want to look back and say, ‘I wish I would have spent more time with my children.’  No I have no regrets.  If I had it to do over I would do the same thing, just try to do it better.”

My beloved Lorie I must tell you, “It would be very hard to do it better”!

Charlie Crowe

No comments:

Post a Comment