Monday, March 6, 2017

Unexpected confession of a pastor

The unexpected confession of a Minister

When we hear that a pastor has confessed to some sin we are still sad, but most of us are no longer surprised.  Pastoral misconduct has happened enough that we feel like we have heard it all.  But a couple of weeks ago I read a pastor’s confession that was not one you hear very often. 

He wrote about having been too weak.  Not weak as in morally weak, but that he appeared weak compared to some of the dynamic and bullying personalities in the church.

What happened was that in spite of his dedication and service to the church, a group had arisen that was intent on co-opting power.  Behind his back they had challenged his credentials for ministry, while at the same time extolling their own virtues.  They may have challenged his work ethic and questioned what he did when not under supervision. 

While the confessing pastor was not explicit in naming their motivations of his attackers, we might expect the usual suspects: power, control, greed, and or glory.  There is clear indication that in his absence the leaders of the coup were intimidating the members of the congregation and may have even been physically abusive.  He admitted that he had not been strong enough to intimidate a church member, let alone any rival who was after power.  He was too weak for that.

When Patience is not a virtue.

At times patience is not a virtue.  Distorted patience can be a scourge that whips us into surrendering to the false god of compromise or compliance.  This kind of patience can be a narcotic that eases the pain of guilt, when what is needed is a call for repentance and change inside of the church.

In my years of ministry training and in my early years of ministry, I was told on a number of occasions that the key to successful ministry is patience.  I was told that incrementalism is the best approach.  For example I was told, “If you want to move the piano from one side of the church to the other, move it one inch a Sunday and eventually you will get it where it needs to be.”  Sounds good, it just doesn’t work, especially when the piano is sitting in front of the communion table.  “Play ball with the powers that be and eventually you would get the opportunity to lead the church,” we were told.  “Do not change things too quickly.”  I have been told that the best response to a challenge to ministry is to be the bigger man and take one for the team.  To never force an issue that was not a core tenant of the faith.  And whatever you do never, ever, ever, ever do something that might split the church.

“How has that worked for you and the church?”

You might ask, “What has been the result of this approach? How has it worked?”  In my ministry I served in four churches where I faced a serious challenge to my leadership and authority.  In all four of these churches we had grown significantly, which was at the root of leadership discontent.  In all four cases, the churches doubled or nearly doubled in Sunday morning attendance.  In all the measures that we typically use, the growth was easy to identify.  And in all four cases there came a direct challenge to my leadership. 

In each, the situations deteriorated to the point I would either have to leave quietly or split the church.  In all four cases I left quietly and graciously.  In a couple of cases I accepted blame for events that were not my fault in order to save the church leadership any embarrassment.  I severed all contact with the church members so the new pastor would not have the ghost of preachers past looking over his shoulder.  I never spoke ill of the church in the community or within our wider fellowship.  Essentially, I gave those who wanted to lead the church full reign to direct the church as they wanted. 

All four of those churches during my ministry grew to a weekly attendance of about 150 with annual growth rates that were far above both national average and community growth.  Since my departure two churches began rotating ministers in and out in rapid succession and have since closed.  One has grown from 150 to about 40 on Sunday morning and has been on that plateau for several years.  And the other has returned to where it was prior to my arrival.

I was too weak

When faced with a challenge to my leadership and ministry I was too weak.  Having been taught that avoiding conflict is the primary virtue I failed to recognize there is a time to stand up to evil people and, if need be, engage in the conflict.  By training and personality I was too weak.  If I had it to do over again, I would have followed the example of the pastor whose confession I read.  He promised to return to the church and this time he would leave no doubt about leadership and authority.  He wrote to the church during one absence, “If you haven’t changed your ways by the time I get there, look out.”  2 Corinthian 13:2 The Message Very clearly, Paul was getting ready to bust some heads and crack some skulls, spiritually speaking. 

I am not asserting apostolic authority, nor am I advocating that pastors look for opportunities to split churches.  What I am saying is that we need to examine very carefully and make sure that what we call patience, humility, or a sacrifice for unity isn’t in reality weakness.


God doesn’t want us to be shy with his gifts, but bold and loving and sensible.
2 Timothy 1:7, The Message




No comments:

Post a Comment