Monday, December 4, 2017

Christmas Reminds us: "You have one job!"

Allow me to take a couple of very different random thoughts and pull them together for a Christmas season application.

First random thought:
I love the “You had one job” memes that float around the Internet, pictures of complete job failures that are honestly hilarious.   Like the time the midfield logo was painted on the 45-yard line or the placement of the play ground slide that deposits the kid out in the street.  Then the street paint that reads, “No Parking FRIE Zone” or the highway department sign that requests, “Please Slow Drively”.  At a McDonald’s the marque was supposed to read, “Try our new Angus Burger” but the letters were misplaced so that the word Anus replace Angus.  Because these were not my gaffs I can laugh about them.  If it were my job or my workers I might find them less humorous.  The humor revolves around the theme “You had one job” and you failed to do it correctly.

Second random thought:
We have begun the celebration of Christmas, the incarnation of the Messiah.  From ancient times the church has used the celebration of the first coming of the Savior to consider His second coming.  What would it mean for the church if the Lord returned now?  Most of us tend to think that it would be pretty great for us, and perhaps not so good for other churches or believers.  We can make a list of how we have it right, based on some pet doctrine, a really busy schedule, or a theological position.  Those other churches, well, they might not fair so well.  They miss it on this or that point, they sing music that is culturally irrelevant or tries too hard to be cool, or have a heritage that is in some way less than ours.  Yea, we are pretty good, but the second coming is going to be pretty bad for them.  Oh, really.

Third random thought:
When Jesus was about to leave the earth He gave his followers, the church, one job.  “Go into all the world and make Disciples.”  That is it.  I got one job.  Everything else is secondary to that or supportive of that one job.   My job as a follower of Christ is to make disciples that I then train so that they can make disciples.  For the last 30 plus years in ministry in various capacities and in a lifetime, having grown up in a preacher’s home, I see that the church is often doing things other than making disciples.  Even our attempts at “outreach” and “church growth” have a lot more to do with filling up space rather than making disciples.  I have witnessed as congregations have made the active choice to be little more than a religious discussion club with a moderator/chaplain that they mislabel a pastor.  I have seen churches willfully hoard their resources away from the community stating, “It is ours not theirs.”  I have watched churches build and or maintain barriers to protect their comfort, resources and status.  I have to confess that my professional efforts have bought into this approach.  After all, I coach churches on how to raise money and build buildings.  I wonder if Jesus looks at my life and does a face palm and offers a deep, deep sigh?
 
No church is completely guilty, but some come close.  No church focuses perfectly on making disciples, but there are a few, very few, that are passionate about it.  SO, what do we do?
This Christmas season let’s add something to our worship and meditation.  As we contemplate the babe in the manger let’s also consider the coming king.  As we reflect on the nativity scene let’s also consider the scene as our Lord returns in glory.  As we kneel in worship at the stable let’s also think about kneeling before the judgment throne of Christ and contemplate our answer as He asks us, “What did you do about the one job I gave you?”


On a personal note.  This Thursday is the official release date for my book, The Adventures of June Bug Johnson. www.JuneBugJohnson.com  Thursday night at 7:00 PM EST I will be hosting a Facebook live event to share a little about the book.  I would be honored if you were able to join me.  https://www.facebook.com/charlie.crowe.792

No comments:

Post a Comment