Monday, December 18, 2017

John the Baptist, a BiC pen and my wife

This week my pen died.  I love pens and pencils.  I have pens that are used for calligraphy.  I have rather nice Cross pens and more promotional pens than I care to mention.  But this week my favorite pen died.  I would like to be like that pen.  Let me explain why.  The pen is a BiC Cristal and one of the most popular pens in the world.  BiC has produced 100 of Billions of these pens since its introduction in the 1950s.  This pen, often called “The BiC Pen”, put ballpoint pens on the map.  It revolutionized writing with ink.  Marcel Bich purchased the patent for the ballpoint pen and then developed ink with a viscosity that would neither run around nor clog the 1 mm ball.  Instead it went from pen to paper with amazing consistency.  The design was a work of practical genius.  Hard working, consistent, faithful, useful, low maintenance, inexpensive and giving itself completely to its task.  As you can see in the picture this pen gave its all in my service.    There is no ink saved back for its self.  It has put everything it had on the paper.
Well Done Good and Faithful Pen

I hate pens that write sporadically.  If I have a pen and I have to scribble on the margins to get the ink to flow I break the pen in half and toss it out.   Pens that leak ink I also hate.  There should be a law that if a manufacturer’s pen leaks on to my dress shirt they ought to be liable.  If I use a promotional pen and it gives me trouble I make a note to not do business with that company if I can avoid it.  I love my Sharpies and I have a Cross pen on my desk right now.  But in the morning when I write in my journal I will grab my next BiC Cristal, and I am hoping for Christmas to get a pack of these in the stocking.  Société BiC are you listening?

I want to be like this pen.  When my days on earth are done I hope that my Master will find me as faithful as this simple pen.  I hope that the Lord of the entire Universe will look on the spent life that was mine and say, “Well done good and faithful servant.”  This week as we prepare for Christmas, Christians have traditionally looked at those who have been messengers of the good news.  From the prophets of old to John the Baptist to the Apostles we take a moment to thank God for their faithful witness of the light of the world.  Can I be a faithful witness?  Can I look forward to that day as one who has consistently shared good news as faithfully as my pen shared its ink?  Is my motive simply to serve my Lord with my whole being, holding nothing back, and reserving no part of my life or my being?  John’s head on a platter, Peter crucified upside down, Paul put to death by sword, a simple ink pen with nothing left to give, I want to hold nothing back.

As Paul said in I Corinthians 4:5 The Message:
When he comes, he will bring out in the open and place in evidence all kinds of things we never even dreamed of—inner motives and purposes and prayers. Only then will any one of us get to hear the “Well done!” of God.

Speaking of faithful, loving and loyal service I must offer a word of praise to my beloved wife.  Lorie and I are celebrating 34 years of marriage.  Next to the grace of the Cross, Lorie is the greatest gift God ever gave me.  May I be a good steward of the grace of a precious daughter of the high King. 



If you would like to receive this weekly blog at no charge you can can sign up for my weekly email newsletter at: http://eepurl.com/bbpHMH

No comments:

Post a Comment