Friday, February 9, 2018

Our Son is Gone so we Celebrate

Celebration of a long won victory
The outpouring of kindness and the promises of prayer we have received this week have been overwhelming.  Yesterday we had the privilege of seeing our son take his oath as he begins becoming a sailor in the US Navy.

Lorie and I are doing well through it all.  Writing to one friend I said, happiness and sorrow make strange bedfellows.  My friend wrote back that these two emotions are very close at times like this.  I should have known that since I read Hind’s Feet In High Places. 

Honestly, we are experiencing a great deal of joy and happiness.  When our oldest was born I cut the umbilical cord.  For us this was a symbolic act; it was the beginning of a long process in which our child would go from being totally dependent on her mother to grow to be independent.  This long journey began when we severed the umbilical cord and ended when our youngest took that final step of independence. 

For us yesterday was the finish line we have been working toward for three decades.  Yes, we are sad, we love our son (all our kids) and having them around is wonderful.  But he needs to be able to make his own way in the world.  Seeing him go is a great thing with a twinge of sadness.  It could be worse. 

Several months ago my son and I went to help a friend of a friend move some stuff.    When we arrived we found the son of the man we came to help sitting on the couch playing video games.  He was in his late 30’s; he had to live with his dad because he just couldn’t make it.  The world was unfair and no one would give him a break.  He was a victim of a cruel life.  So, while my son and I moved the stuff he sat on the couch played video games, ate chips and drank Mt. Dew.  When we were done we got in the truck and I told my son, “I will hate it when you leave, but it would be really awful if you were to stay.”


So now our oldest is married to a peace officer, who is in law school.  She is a home school mom of three, active on the church praise team and running a little farm (garden, goats, hogs, chickens, etc.)  They are sort of busy.




Our second child just graduated from Grand Canyon University, a 4.0 honor student, with a degree in Emergency Management.  She served 6 years in the Navy and left as an E5.  She is married to a sailor who does cyber security. 

 Our youngest daughter is fulfilling her dream being a mom.  With a toddler and an infant she is often a sleep-deprived mom, but that goes with the territory.  She texted this morning to tell us she has unlocked the next level in the game “Mommy”.  Her husband is studying in the field of radiation therapy.  I don’t understand it, but as long as my grand kids don’t glow in the dark I am cool with it. 

And now our son is in boot camp.  Four kids, four successful launches.  I can’t take the credit I can only thank God for His grace in their lives.  Yes, I am sad our son has moved on, but his moving on is cause for celebration. 






6 comments:

  1. You are amazing parents God is good I can't wait to see what has for you next❤

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful family and a testimony to the love and grace of God and parents. Praise be to God! May His will be done in every step of this journey.

    ReplyDelete