Monday, February 5, 2018

Prayer Request

This Wednesday I drive my son to an appointment.  The trip is 14.4 miles and it takes 20 years.  I am taking my son to the Navy Recruiting office, from there they will take him to Jacksonville, do a lot of paper work, then it’s off to Great Lakes Naval Training Center for Navy boot camp.  As I write this he is in his room packing his belongings into boxes and tying up loose ends. 

Twenty years ago I knew this day would come.  There have been times that I felt like I wanted this day to get here.  Every parent of a high-spirited, strong-willed teen understands that.  Every waking moment and many sleeping ones are invaded by memories of this life we have shared.

He has aspirations to join the Navy’s Underwater Demolition Team, more commonly known as Seals.  For the last year he has been preparing and training for this goal, reading, swimming, exercising.  To help train he does this thing called a Murph
where you run a mile, do 100 pull-ups, 200 sit-ups, 300 air squats and then run another mile all while wearing a 20-pound weight vest.  He really wants to join a Seal team.  The attrition rate for the Seals is extremely high.  Many want to, only a few actually do.  I am exceedingly proud of him whether he makes UDT or not. 

Over the last year we have had a lot of conversations about why he wanted to do this.  There were the typical answers: love of country, to be part of something special, to learn new disciplines, to learn what he was made of, adventure.  But one answer stood out for me.  One night he said, “I am a single guy without wife or kids.  I don’t have even a girl friend.  By my going and doing this I can allow some father and husband to be with his wife and kids safe at home.”  Willing to endure hardship, risk safety and the possibility of death so some kids he has never met can have their dad safe at home.

He is a long, long, long way from being a Seal and the odds are against him.  But that heart reflects the heart of another.  Years ago this same boy accepted the gift of grace and became a follower of Christ.  The Christ who said, “By my doing this you can be safe at home with your Father.”  I am proud of that boy because he is reflecting the heart of his Savior.

Please pray for us all.  Pray for peace on earth-nothing motivates that prayer like having a family member in the military.  Pray for his mom and me as we say good- bye to our youngest and return home to a house empty for the first time in almost three decades.  We need God’s guidance for the next phase of our lives.  But most of all pray for my son as he pursues a life of self sacrifice and that God will place him in the exact spot in the Navy where his light can shine brightest.


  

9 comments:

  1. My heart is with you my friend! I can't imagine that moment. But know the pride and joy you will feel when you see him in that uniform, marching in pass and review for the first time. Determination - sheer raw determination, like he has, is 90% of what it takes to become a Seal. I have a cousin who retired from ST. It is grueling and the best of the best. I will certainly pray for that trip, and especially the silent return trip home...alone. And I'll pray for his endurance, strength of heart and soul. His goals are a reflection of solid parenting! You are the best!
    Your friend,
    Randy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you and Lorie are so proud of him. He will wear the Crowe name proudly as he continues in his life. Prayers for all of you.
    Big Sis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear God I hardly know what to say I have thought of you all much today and how proud you must be to have a son like Bryant he is one of the finest Men I have ever had the privilege to know If I was ever blessed enough to have a son I would want one just like him and your daughters as well but as the pleasure of having them must be great so must be the pain of letting them go. I am so Blessed to know a man like him and be loved by a family like yours. That is a wonderful legacy you make a great big difference and so do your wonderful wife and children you are the best friends I could ever hope to have my prayers are with you and yours always

    ReplyDelete