Sunday, February 2, 2020

Can "The Apocalypse" ever be understood?

Why write about Revelation? 

What if Revelation was actually easy to understand?  What if it made sense to people who are not part of an esoteric elite with secret knowledge?  What if the point of the book is not a forward-looking timeline, but rather, a picture book to explain what is going on in the world at all times and how we can live faithfully as disciples in every age?  What if we, rather than look around the world for harbingers of the end, we used this book to look into our own hearts?  What if rather than events that only a few can understand, Revelation is about understanding Who our Savior is?
When the last book of the Bible is reduced to chronological perditions that are all but impossible to understand we have missed the whole point of the book.

When I told a friend that I was going to write about Revelation he looked at me as if I were crazy. Another treatise on Revelation always seems to arouse suspicion.  I think that is because Revelation has often been reduced to a forward-facing timeline-if only we can figure out the secret key to unlock the mystery. Everyone who knows me knows that I am neither smart enough to have secret information nor holy enough to have special revelation.   Revelation should be for every follower of Christ.

I am not writing this to argue for my millennial position; that will become obvious. But you will not find this a compelling apologetic for or against any millennial opinion.  Some who read this will believe I am wrong on this matter.  Those people are entitled to be wrong, just as I too am entitled to be wrong.  This point of opinion is less important than living like a disciple, which is what I most want to encourage.

Even if we disagree with the meaning of the millennia, let’s at least rescue this wonderful book from the sensationalized, Hollywood-isk-religio-entertainment complex and return it to its rightful place. That is calling Christians in every age to love and serve our Savior, the Hero of all history and our story, Jesus Christ. 

For a free copy of this book please go to:  


In the Cause of Christ
Charlie Crowe

No comments:

Post a Comment