Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Clergy Killers and Motorcycles

Most of us are aware of the concept of “Clergy Killer” or “Well-Intentioned Dragon”.  They are the people in our congregation that for some reason or another are highly antagonistic toward the minister or someone in the church.  I want to take this concept to a different level.  I have known of one minister’s wife who was actually killed by a church member. I know of a couple of others who have received death threats in one form or another.  But I want to share with you a photo of some evangelists in India.  You will note that their faces are hidden.  You see, if this photo made it to social media and by chance their identity became known, “Clergy Killer” could become very literal.  Ministry is tough here, but compared to these men our work is a walk in the park. 

You will notice that these men are praying over one of the tools of their ministry.  For us a motorcycle is really recreational, that is if we use it.  For these men a motorbike is the best way to reach some areas where they take the Gospel. A journey on foot that could take all day or even several is now accessible within an hour or two.  But there are men who are still making their journey on foot. There are men who need a motorbike, not as a hobby or for fun, but as a vital part of their ministry. 

So, here is how these all come together.  I am volunteering to help a mission organization in India (midindia.org) provide motorcycles for evangelists and church planters.  However, the evangelist simply cannot afford to purchase a bike.  This is where you and I come in.  My goal is to raise the funds to purchase 10 motorcycles before Christmas for these ministers.  I want to lead off this effort with stateside ministers.  You, my readers can help.  I am asking you to please help. Will you help me?  Or I should say, “Will you help these ministers advance the Gospel in India?”

The purchase of a bike in India is about $1,000.  Most of us have hobbies that cost many times that. If we count the cost of all that is involved in our hobbies I think an honest valuation will easily exceed $1,000. These little street/dirt bikes can take these preachers to remote places you can't reach by plane, train or 4- wheel drive.   

This is what I will ask you to do.  Pray for these men and their need.  Then give as generously as you can.  Would you give a gift equal to 1/2 the value of your bike?  Would you give $1,000?  Can you give $500?  Can you give any amount to this worthwhile cause?  One of my favorite stewardship stories is of a guy in Kentucky who, convinced of his church's need, donated his almost brand-new Harley Davidson FLHTC to the church for them to sell and use the money.   Loving to ride as I do I know what a sacrifice that was.  Would the Lord ask you to sell an extra or unused bike you might have and turn those dollars into ministry?  May I paraphrase Luke 3:11, "Then John said, "Dude, if you have got two bikes, then give one to the man who doesn't have one..."

FULL DISCLOSURE:  Please read carefully
1. I am not being paid as a stewardship consultant to do this project.  I am doing this because I believe in the eternal impact of this mission.
2. This letter and request comes from me and not Mid-India.  If you find it overly blunt or offensive take that up with me; it is not Mid-India's fault.
3. I am giving to this personally.  I am planning to give 25% of the value of my Harley to this project by year's end.  If I have to sell the bike to do that I will.    
4. DO NOT send any money to me!  Send all funds directly to Mid-India.  For details on how to do so contact Kathy Sparks. Kathy@midindia.org.  If you wish to give your bike to the mission for them to sell I will come and get it and ride it down to them.  (I am just that nice of a guy)
5. This is not the end.  Will you please share this effort with your contacts, friends, fishing, riding, or shooting buddies?  You will likely hear more about this as I expand the audience to which I am making this appeal.  

In closing, let me ask that you overlook my weaknesses and failings and consider the great cause of which we are a part and help our fellow ministers as they plant churches in India.



No comments:

Post a Comment