Friday, September 16, 2022

Do we tolerate bad priorities in our lives?


If you will tell me what choices you make, I will tell you what your priorities are.   There are times that we will say things are our priorities, but the choice is that our lives do not reflect those kinds of priorities.


Unfortunately, too many people who claim to be disciples of Christ live lives that do not reflect Christ and His kingdom as their priority. Let me share with you a funny and sad story about choices that reflect different priorities.


One day my secretary came to me and said that several of the women of the church were going to be going over the weekend for a women's retreat. I was pleased. I imagined them going to the church camp and spending the weekend in prayer, Bible study, and perhaps even fasting. What actually happened was about eight of the young mothers in the church went to Orlando and stayed in a hotel so that they could go to the first available viewing of the latest part of the Twilight saga. It was going to be a midnight showing on an IMAX screen, and they didn’t think they would be able to drive home and come to church.  So, the “women’s retreat” Twihards were willing to ditch gathering with their brothers and sisters in Christ and worshiping the Lord in order to watch an incredibly stupid movie.


Now don't start saying Charlie hates Twilight. On second thought, you can say that.  It is in my opinion one of the most repulsive, idiotic, film series in the history of humanity and I would rather go to the dump and shoot rats than watch even one episode. But even if it were a great film like  “Lord of the Rings” or “Schindler's List”, ditching worship in order to watch a movie with friends reflects skewed priorities.


I don’t believe a person is saved or lost because of their attendance in worship.  I do not believe that church people should be treated like a captive audience and those who lead churches can expect or demand attendance or participation.  What I do believe is that the Gospel is the best news ever.  I believe the Bible is compelling and amazing.  I believe a Biblical worldview is supremely elegant and beautiful.  I believe that the smartest person in all of human history, Jesus Christ, has plenty to say for us today.  And I believe that for everyone who is a disciple of Jesus, because He is so wonderful and His grace is so amazing, it would be silly to allow anything to take priority over worshiping Him and being with His people.  There is nothing better.


Perhaps we need to rethink our priorities. 


No comments:

Post a Comment