Monday, June 12, 2017

Exegetical Error Extra

For those of you who are a little more into sports and who are less likely to be offended here is an Exegetical Error Extra for your consideration.  

Tim Tebow who misused Phil 4:13 as his theme verse for football gained a bit of ignominy in the SEC championship game.  The Gators were ranked #1 and were expecting to win the game.  They were however routed in a blow out.  That night the reference he had painted in his eye black was John 16:33. 

John 16:33 “These things I have spoken to you, so that in Me you may have peace. In the world you have tribulation, but take courage; I have overcome the world.”

Near the end of the game, as it was obvious that the Gators would not win, he is pictured surrounded by his teammates who are patting him on the back and consoling him as he is crying really hard.  Someone took the picture and super imposed a different verse into his eye black.  The new verse was Is. 22:4:

Therefore I said, “Turn away from me;
    let me weep bitterly.
Do not try to console me
    
over the destruction of my people.”

No one can doubt Tim Tebow's faith and commitment, or his outstanding character, but let’s be honest Isaiah 22:4 has as much to do with football as Phil 4:13 or John 16:33.

No comments:

Post a Comment