Sunday, June 25, 2017

I need your help completing a project.


June Bug figuring out the world one Proverb at a time.  
Several years ago I wrote a weekly article for my church’s newsletter.  Being a relatively small congregation there were times of the year in which there just wasn’t much news for the newsletter.  One week I was struggling with finding anything to write.  In desperation I shared a funny story from my own life, changed the names of the characters, and applied an applicable Proverb. 

That next week I got more comments and compliments on my story than I ever got from reporting the church “news.”  Who would have imagined that a funny story would be more interesting than the fact that Wednesday night’s family meal was going to be tacos? 

A few weeks later, I needed something to write. I remembered a great story a friend told me that happened in his ministry.  Using the same characters, I wrote another story. Then it happened again.  Besides finding that people actually read these stories, I found it was a lot of fun to write.  And so was born a collection of stories I call, The Adventures of June Bug Johnson: growing up in the shadows of the Proverbs. 

After what seemed like years of indecision and writing and rewriting, I submitted the collection for publication and the publisher said, “YES.”  My first book is about to go to press and you can imagine the excitement that I have for this project.   

"The Adventures of June Bug Johnson" is a humorous and nostalgic look at the wisdom of the Proverbs as shared through the lives of Deroy “June Bug” Johnson and his grandpa Lymon (pronounced Lemon) Johnson.  June Bug is sometimes the agent of folly, sometimes the casual observer to other’s folly, and sometimes he is the mediator of wisdom.   Grandpa Lymon connects June Bug with the wisdom of Solomon as he quotes the Proverbs and explains what they mean. 

In all these stories there is a nugget of truth. Around the tidbits of fact I filled in details to add flair and color, so this is a work of fiction based on imagination and reality.  In some cases, all I did was change the names of those involved and fill in details or add Grandpa Lymon’s sage advice.  At other times I began with almost nothing.  For example, one story is built around a picture of a refrigerator with the words “hell is hot” painted on it.  I have no clue what the back story is, but my imagination was able to create a fictional account.  Each of the twenty chapters is a self-contained, short story ideal for bedtime with grandkids or for personal relaxation and smiles.
  
As a first time author publishers are not exacting throwing advances at me.  Fact is the likelihood of this being a big, financial success is somewhat small.   I need your help. There are three ways you can help me if you are so inclined.

First, in order the get this project jump-started, I need to raise $1,000 to cover basic marketing costs and the first run of printing.  There are more details involved in this than I ever imagined.   I have set up a GoFundMe sight should you want to be a patron of this project.  Any gift of any size will be greatly appreciated.  For each gift of $20 or more, I will provide you a serial numbered, autographed, first edition.  Contributions can be made through this link.


Second, I would like for you to buy a copy of this book.  I suppose that goes without saying, but if I don’t ask you to buy it, you may not buy.  The publisher informs me that it should be available toward the end of October.  Buy a copy, read it with care and if you like it keep it, if you don’t, you can give it to someone as a Christmas gift.  When the books are available I promise I will let you know how you can purchase a copy.

Third, I need help developing the networks that are needed for book signings, book clues, library events, etc.  If you know someone in one of those arenas please introduce us.  Additionally, one of the stories that did not make it into the book is a Christmas story.  I used this story at my church’s Christmas party.  I would be honored to discuss presenting a Christmas program for a social or church event.


Thank you for your indulgence in letting me share my bit of good news. 

No comments:

Post a Comment