Thursday, February 15, 2024

Matthew 16:1-12

Matthew 16:1 - 12

Everywhere Jesus went someone wanted something; there was never a moment of rest. Jesus having gone and spent some time in areas with gentiles who responded well to His message returns and is met by people wanting a sign. A sign or proof that would always and forever remove the possibility of doubt was what they wanted. Jesus says that this kind of proof comes from an evil and adulterous generation. The motivation for signs is from an evil heart. Is it possible that the more like the Father we are the less we need signs to show us His will? We do not know His heart; therefore, we do not know His will. When I come to know the heart of God and have my heart conform to His, my will has broken and is ready to conform to His. I will be moved by what moves Him. Rather than ask, “What do you want me to do?” To the degree I know His heart I will know His will from my reshaped heart. But If I only vaguely and generally know the will of God do I really know His heart?

Am I in the same condition as the disciples. Jesus warns them about the leaven of the Pharisees and the Scribes and they didn't get it. Jesus' warning and the conclusion they reached were pretty distant. They thought that the leaven of the Pharisees and the scribes was the same as not having bread. It almost sounds like something from a Monty Python sketch. The inclination of their heart’s was to look at their natural needs. Why was this the first thing they thought about? It was first because it was in the forefront of their hearts and minds.

Jesus doesn't say what is the teaching of the Pharisees and Scribes. In some way it is related to the challenge for a sign in verse 1. In Mark 8:15, Jesus refers to the teachings of the Pharisees and Herod. These three had almost nothing in common. The only commonality they had was their attitude toward Jesus their attitude to signs. They all wanted signs and wonders but that attitude was linked to their wish to keep their power.

Do I ask for the signs or leading because my heart is not right with God? Am I living in fear of a wrong answer?

"Lord, help me have a heart of true repentance so that I may know Your will. AMEN"

No comments:

Post a Comment