Saturday, February 17, 2024

Matthew 16:13-28

Matthew 16: 13 - 28

From the beginning of Jesus's Ministry Jesus has been guarded about who He was and His ultimate role. That changes now. The confession of Peter is a major turning point in the ministry of Jesus.

We all face the challenge Peter faced. On the one hand we are delighted to be a part of the Messianic community. It is the fulfillment of all of our fondest wishes. But we don't like the sacrifice that it demands. Jesus said He must go and die. Peter didn't like that and tried to find a different way. Jesus responded with a second declaration. In the first declaration Jesus said, "Peter, you are a rock and you're inspired by God". In the second declaration He said, "You are a stumbling block and are Satan". What is the difference? When we want the Messiah without the cross we have become Satan. “Take up the cross” may have been a metaphor for the disciples, but it was about to become very real. As the church distances itself from the cross it becomes weak and impotent. The cross is ours too. The weakness in my life as a disciple is in direct correlation to how much I want to save my life. On the spectrum of complete surrender to Christ at one end and having Jesus as my houseboy at the other end I find myself and that marks my discipleship. When I try to protect myself and my life from the cost of being a disciple, I put my true, eternal life at risk.

We wonder why the church has become a club and, in some cases, a nest for the demonic. It is because we have stopped preaching the cross, both the cross of Christ and our own cross as a disciple. We have thought that we can attract people to the good life. Jesus said nothing of the sort. He called us to come to Him, to take up a cross and to die.

"Lord, help me to every day take up my cross and die to my own life and live for You. AMEN"

No comments:

Post a Comment